This is a really simple, go-to delicious paleo breakfast or dessert.
- Pancake Mix
- 2 eggs
- half a banana
- 1/3 cup of dried/desiccated coconut
- Topping (ideas)
- berries of choice
- coconut cream
- desiccated coconut
- nuts (walnut, almond, hazelnut, macadamia, pecan)
- drizzle of honey (I don't think it needs this but my girlfriend disagrees. If you use honey be sparing as it is almost pure fructose)
- Grass-fed unsalted butter for cooking in or coconut oil if you prefer
- beat eggs with a fork
- mash banana with a fork and then add to eggs
- add desiccated coconut to mixture and stir in with fork until it is a consistent batter
- heat butter in pan on medium heat
- add pancake mix and cook for a few minutes until the bottom half is cooked
- flip the pancake CAREFULLY
- you will know the ratio is off if it breaks apart on flipping
- to be safe you can slide the pancake onto a plate and then flip it back into the pan
- cook the other side of the pancake for a minute or two
- the top side will cook far quicker than the bottom did
- when done the pancake should be firm but springy. If it is squishy it is still raw in the middle.
- add toppings and enjoy!
This is an amazing dish. Bloody delicious and addictive! I try not to eat this every day for the following reasons:
- There is some research out there that beating egg yolks and cooking them at heat causes them to oxidize and become less beneficial
- I try to avoid carbs in the first half of the day and even though this only has about 20 grams of carbs as described, if you eat the whole banana, berries and some honey the carb load can creep up.
- Dried coconut is hugely energy dense and it is easy to over-consume it. If you are trying to lean down I would treat this as a treat, not a staple.